Sunday, May 18, 2008

You still use a Polaroid?

When we were in Campo Di Fiori the past few days I noticed that the gentleman who offer to take your pictures (as well as sell roses, souvenirs, jewelery, etc.) use a Polaroid type of camera. When I first saw this I thought it was just my eyes playing a trick on me. Who would still use a Polaroid in the days of digital-SLRs? I went back a second time and once again they were out in full force equipped with their Polaroid style cameras. It blew me away. They see thousands of tourists a day with beautiful digital cameras, and they offer to take your picture with a format that is, for the most part, outdated. I guess they do get some business though, considering they are still doing it night after night. The location they chose is key to their operation. Campo Di Fiori is a tourist trap, in a sense. They know that Americans are coming here and eating, drinking, and socializing. They take advantage of the fact that some Americans tend to drink to much and waste money on useless things when they are in that state of mind. It's a business just like any other, but the equipment is outdated. Come talk to me, gentleman, when your using a Canon EOS 1D Mark III! Ciao!

No comments: