Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Vatican

This morning we met at 9am at St. Peters square. I don't know how it happened but I ended up getting lost because I walked by myself. I was just about to ask for directions when I rounded the corner and this is what I saw. I literally just stumbled upon the Vatican! I got there early so I took some pictures and hung out until the rest of the group got there then we ventured inside St. Peters Basilica. Once inside this is what we saw. We ventured around inside for a while and got to see all the things that make The Vatican so special. There were masses going on in various parts of the church, as well as Cardinals walking around. It was an experience for sure. Little did we know, but The Vatican is actually its own independent country. It is guarded by the Swiss Military, who happen to wear some very colorful uniforms. We also got a chance to venture into the Tomb of the Popes (no pictures allowed) and got to see John Paul II's tomb. It was controlled by secret service type agents, and no stopping was allowed in front of the tomb. Very neat to see. We ventured outside next to try and get into the Sistine Chapel, but it was closed. We'll have to do that next time we visit The Vatican, like in a week or so. Dom and I then split up from Brian and Jared and walked to the top of one of Romes 7 hills that gave us this view of Rome
All in all it was a great day. We're at the girls apartment now using the internet because the studio internet is not so good. We found one of the coolest drinking fountains in the Vatican. It was a long trough that had about 6-8 spouts coming off of it, and it was full of visitors drinking from it. I attempted to take a picture, but I failed for some reason. The fountain was tucked back in the corner, so the lighting was not so good. Well, I am going to get some work done now. Ciao!

2 comments:

Luke Carter said...

Did you really just happen to "stumble across the Vatican"?

I bet that was fun...bearing in mind the size of the perimeter walls etc.

Anyways, I like the blog. Content and images are good.

http://luke2438.blogspot.com

Shane St.Esprit said...

Hey thank you. And yes, in fact, I did just happen to stumble upon it. The buildings surrounding the Vatican are huge, as you know. I made a few wrong turns and then just happen to make a left turn on some road and there it was. I was just happy I made it!