Saturday, May 17, 2008

Viale Di Trastevere



First Saturday night in Rome, which obviously means that it gets crowded. It kind of reminds me of State College on a football weekend, just add a lot more people! I say this because it's an influx of people into a specific area for a specific reason, in this case tourism. Anyways, I had to make the trek down to the classroom tonight to fix a scheduling issue for the second summer session, which I did (no worries mom and dad). As I was walking, Viale de Trastevere was bustling! Suddenly, it seemed like more street vendors decided to open up for the weekend. Everywhere I walked, something was being cooked and the whole road smelled fantastic! I did notice something that bothered me from day one, and still did tonight. I keep catching the locals staring at me and I don't mean a simple glance. I am talking that they look at me as we approach, then they turn their head as I pass and give that last little glance to make sure I know they are watching. Of course, after I noticed this the first time I started looking back to see how often it happens. This has led to a few unfortunate "eye-meetings" and a very sincere "grazie" from me. I guess that's what you get when they know that you are an American. Also, this comes along with the territory that we are in. Trastevere is, as a few guidebooks point out, the non-tourist part of Rome. This makes it all the more interesting for Brian, Dom, Cole, Jared and myself. We are living among the locals, and we couldn't be happier!

No comments: