Saturday, May 17, 2008

Roman Fountains

I have discovered something so simple so yet so affective with the water fountains throughout town! The water normally flows from steel like pipe that is connected to a fire hydrant looking thing (see picture), and sometimes if you just want a drink you have to bend down and get your knees a little dirty in order to taste this great water. But the other day I noticed that about 2 inches up the pipe from the end is a tiny hole, maybe 1/4 of an inch in diameter, and I had no idea what it did. So last night as we’re sitting at dinner I see a local resident (I know this by the speech and dress) go up to the fountain, place his thumb over the main hole and voila, the water is forced up through the little hole and you have a perfect water fountain, just like in the United States. Okay, so it’s nothing like the United States cause these are on the streets, but the water is now more accessible and you don’t have to get your jeans dirty on the ground. I tried it out last night on my walk home when no one was around incase it didn’t work. Well, it worked fine, but the pressure was really high and it went all over a very nice Smart Car parked right in front of the fountain. It’s just water, so I doubt the owner would care. It needed washed anyways! Ciao!

No comments: