Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Viale Di Trastevere

As I finish up my last 2 days here in Trastevere I find myself wandering the streets more and more just taking it all in. I love being able to interact with the Italians as much as I can. Whether it be something as simple as ordering coffee or something more complicated as telling a waiter that I don't want anchovies on my pizza, it's been a pleasure to have the chance to interact like we have gotten to. I am so tempted before I leave to give a few Euro to the homeless people that I have seen and said hello to everyday for the past seven weeks, but I am not sure whether that is the best idea. More specifically, I feel that the man in front of the pharmacy that I pass everyday may be one the nicest homeless people that I have interacted with in my life. He has nothing but a sleeping bag, cigarettes, and a bottle for water, but he is always smiling. Makes me want to re-evaluate my priorities. We have been eating at the same restaurant pretty much every day now, and the food keeps getting better. Whether is be sausage pizza or cold tomato, eggplant, onion, and cheese salad, it is all good because we are in Rome. I know it sounds very cliche, but when in Rome, do as the Romans. I feel that we have done our best to show Trastevere that we are willing to mold and conform to their standards as much as we have to in order to be accepted as residents of their quiet little suburb.

No comments: