Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ah! Photos!

I’m getting rather frustrated with myself as of right now. I love to shoot photography. I would consider it an obsession. I came to Rome with the intent of shooting every day, all day. But this has not been the case. It is hard to lug around a large (relatively speaking) camera bag and constantly worry about changing lenses and if my shots are composed correctly, etc. It seems as if I’ve taken all the fun out it for myself. Before I arrived in Rome I read all the important articles that would help my shooting here. I bought color correction cards, and lens brushes. I was ready to shoot.
I was just sitting here looking through my photo files on my computer and they are sorted by date. The day that I arrived in Rome, May 11th, up until about May 23rd, I was shooting everyday. I was seeing new things, and finding new ways to shoot what has been shot countless times (check the Colosseum pictures below). I feel like I keep running into a wall, figuratively speaking. I even took myself on a walk today up above the Vatican, trying to find something new to shoot. You can only shoot so many fountains, and churches, and islands, and bridges before you realize you’re not doing anything new. Anything unique.
I pulled out my photo magazines for a little inspiration, and I found what I was looking for. In Popular Photography from June 2008, there is an article titled 20+ New Skills. I flipped through there again and found a few new things I need to try, and new ways to shoot what I’ve already shot. I even had a great idea for shoot to do back home, so I will hopefully post that somewhere online and link to it later just for fun.
Anyways, I learned that I couldn’t let myself get frustrated here. I can’t be jealous of the people shooting with $8,000 cameras, because it’s not the camera that makes the photos, it’s the photographer. Hopefully I can pull through and take some interesting photos in my last three weeks here that you can all, as well as I, appreciate. Ciao.

No comments: